At Matt's request, here's a shamefully easy but beautiful, healthy and refreshing breakfast parfait for you to experiment with.
For the Apple and Pear Compote (Makes 3-4 portions)
- 1 large Bramley apple
- 1 ready-ripe pear
- Caster sugar/Mild-flavoured honey (1-2tbsp/to taste)
- Peel, quarter, core and finely slice the fruit.
- On a medium heat, put the fruit, sugar/honey and a dash of water in a large saucepan and let it simmer and soften for 5-10 minutes.
- Once you get a balance of mushy and firmer fruit, remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool. This can be stored in the fridge for 1-2 weeks.
For the Breakfast Parfait (Makes 1 portion)
- 4 generous tablespoons Apple and pear compote
- 2-3 tbsp Coconut yoghurt (Rachel's Greek-style, or Co-yo as a dairy-free alternative)
- 1 small banana (sliced)
- 2-3 tsp chia seeds
- Find yourself a tumbler-sized glass/large ramekin.
- Add the ingredients to the glass/ramekin one by one, layering so that they do not intermix before eating.
- Get a spoon and enjoy your super-nourishing Breakfast Parfait!
- This is a super versatile breakfast and can easily be bulked up if you need something more substantial. For example, adding muesli instead of/in addition to the chia seeds. Pumpkin seeds are also a brilliant addition for a little crunch.